There are a few resources and plugins that I recommend for any new WordPress powered sites. When I start a new site one of the first things I want to do is set up the Google Search Console. You can read more about the Google Search Console on Google’s Support Site.
With the Google Search Console you can do the following and more:
- Verify Google is able to access your site and and has no errors to report.
- Submit new content to Google and remove content you do not want Google to list.
- Be made aware of any malware or spam issues by Google if they detect it.
- Target a country’s search engine results.
- See how GoogleBot sees your site.
- Control URL parameters such as using or not using “www.” on your domain.
I also highly recommend installing and configuring a caching plugin such as WP Super Cache or W3TC. Properly configured caching can be the difference between your site being online with thousands of visitors or offline with only a few.
Once you have some content and you want Google and Bing to know what content you have and when it updates I would also recommend installing Google XML Sitemaps by Arne Brachhold.